For our Sydney Thunder players, life will be a little different during the sixth edition of the Rebel Women’s Big Bash League, with all teams being accommodated in a bio-secure hub in Sydney Olympic Park.
So, what do young gun Hannah Darlington and new recruit Sammy-Jo Johnson need to survive life in the Rebel WBBL Village?
1. Laptop – “For Netflix and uni work, definitely going to need that."
2. Sudoku book – “I’m challenging myself to try and finish it during the season.”
3. Dog – “I wish. I’ll probably miss my dog more than mum and dad. If a dog turns up in the hub, it’s not mine…”
4. Pillow – “I need my own pillow. Maybe even a blanket as well.”
5. HDMI cable – “That’s a big one, so I can connect games to the TV.”
6. Shoes – “I’ll bring too many pairs of shoes and then probably only wear my Birkes.”
7. ‘Flanny’ aka flannelette shirt – “Look out for Lauren Smith and I wearing those together.”
1. Foxtel subscription – “That is definitely number one on the list. I have to be able to watch Fox Sports 24/7. That’s all I watch, live off it. I’ll definitely be watching the V8s closely.”
2. PlayStation – “I’ve done a few tours and I know I need to be able to switch off from human beings because I just can’t deal with them sometimes. I love a bit of Crash Bandicoot as well as car racing games… I’ve got it all lined up ready to go. We’ve got about 8-9 players under the age of 21 who probably don’t even know what Crash Bandicoot is so I’ll have to teach them.”
3. SS Holden Commodore – “I know I’m not allowed to drive anywhere, but if it’s parked in the car park, I’ll sit in it and play music, or at least turn it on. It’s a serious thought, I’m actually going to ask if I’m allowed to leave it in the car park. I’m going to make sure I put the car wash in the boot, that way – if I’m allowed to – I’ll wash my car in our breaks.”
4. Pool cue – “I have a pool table at home, so I’ll take my pool cue in because I think there might be a pool table going in. It’s my special cue I like to use, it’s a certain weight. I’ve played quite a fair bit of pool over the years – few pool comps at the pub.”
The full 59-match WBBL season begins on Sunday 25 October, with Thunder taking on crosstown rivals the Sydney Sixers at North Sydney Oval on the opening day of the tournament.
Membership renewals are now open, with new packages available and a host of new benefits and exclusive discounts. Head to sydneythunder.com.au/membership for more information.